Sunday, April 1, 2012

Meat Loaf

When I think of comfort food, many things come to mind but to me nothing says comfort food more than meat loaf.

I've tried various recipes for meat loaf,  but I always come back to this well worn recipe. 


Meat loaf is good hot from the oven with mashed potatoes, and your favorite veggies, but it also wonderful as a cold sandwich with a side of fruit for a quick lunch.  Presuming you have leftovers, of course!

I wanted to make sure I had plenty left over for reheating for suppers during the work week, as well as have it as an option for my brown bag lunches.

A trip to Costco and I was all set.  Burgers on the grill for supper, a couple of pounds bagged in the freezer for later and 3 pounds set aside in a large crockery mixing bowl to turn into a delicious meat loaf.



Meat Loaf

Ingredients:

3 pounds of ground beef
1 cup of chopped onion
1 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup ketchup plus more for the top
1 1/4 cups milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Oil a baking dish large enough for the meat loaf.
To a large mixing bowl, measure and add all the ingredients in the list.
Mix until thoroughly blended, but do not over mix.  The best utensils to use for this mixing is your hands.
Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in the oiled baking dish.
If desired top with about 1/4 cup of ketchup.
Bake in a 350 oven for 90 minutes or until done.
I cut my meat loaf in 1/2 to determine if it is cooked completely through.  If it isn't then I return it to the oven for 10 minutes and check it again.

Remove from oven and serve.

  


and that's What's Cooking at Cathy's ~ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment